For over 60 years Landi Renzo has been developing technology that transforms the power of clean, compressed natural gas (CNG) into an alternative to gasoline and diesel fuel for transportation. To achieve this, the original vehicle is configured to operate with a new CNG fuel delivery & storage system specifically designed to operate as a factory produced vehicle. All relevant performance and diagnostics parameters of the original system are calibrated to achieve maximum performance and reliability under CNG use.
Electronic Pressure Regulator
Advantages and Main Characteristics:
Our regulator, one of the most innovative natural gas regulators in the industry, yields the following advantages over the traditional mechanical style regulator commonly used in the industry.
- Electronic control of optimal output pressure depending on specific engine and/or ambient conditions
- Works with Natural Gas and supports the flow rates required for HD applications
- Cold Start performances are vastly improved compared to a mechanical regulator
- Compact single-stage design for improved vehicle packaging
- Inherently reliable in cold conditions due to complete elimination of rubber parts
- No heating required. An optional heater for freezing protection of other rubber-based system parts (e.g. fuel injector O-ring seals, hose seals etc.) is available upon request
- Closed loop control of output pressure with high dynamic response and no performance drift over the entire life-span
- Extended range (or equivalent fuel saving in tank cost) compared to a standard mechanical pressure regulator obtained by further sensing and compensation at low CNG storage pressure
- Proprietary software for control and diagnostic, integrated electronic control box, simple communication with the engine control system via vehicle CAN bus
- Extensive validation (OEM specifications)
Landi Renzo’s technology portfolio also includes CNG bi-fuel applications, which allow a vehicle to run on CNG as a primary fuel with the added flexibility of switching to gasoline when desired by the user. The engine can be started on gasoline or CNG, then switched by the user to either of these fuels. Should the car run out of CNG, the engine automatically switches over to gasoline.
Just like any of our dedicated CNG solutions, Landi Renzo bi-fuel systems are configured to achieve the highest level of integration with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) system. A dedicated bi-fuel control module (AFCM) is added to ensure precise monitoring of CNG fuel being delivered to each engine cylinder, constantly adapting to particular engine operations and/or environmental conditions. The AFCM has full control of the diagnostics of the CNG system components and diagnostic reporting to the main engine controller through a high speed digital link. While the Landi Renzo USA CNG bi-fuel system is EPA certified, it has also been designed to meet the stringent on-board diagnostics requirements set by California Air Resource board.
Landi Renzo CNG high pressure storage, conditioning and delivery systems make CNG one of the safest fuels available for automotive applications. All fuel containers and system components are designed and tested to meet regulatory protocols, federal standards and engineering procedures prescribed for Original Equipment Manufacturers, including crash testing validation of the system when installed on the complete vehicle.
MAIN COMPONENT DESCRIPTION
- The CNG pressure regulator reduces fuel pressure from 3600 psi down to a level in the range of 50-150 psi depending on particular features of the specific application
- Engine coolant flows through an internal regulator jacket to maintain an even temperature and prevent freezing due to CNG expansion within the system.
Fuel Rails and Injectors
- Injector/rail combinations are application specific in order to optimize performance and packaging.
- Fuel rails are designed to include pressure and temperature sensors that enable precise fuel metering under the broadest range of operating conditions.
- Natural gas flow mass is metered by the electronic fuel injectors according to the processed signals from either the engine or AFCM controller
CNG Fuel Filtration
- Natural gas is gathered from a pipeline and travels to a connecting compressor station which elevates its pressure to a range from 2000 psi to 5000 psi before finally being ready for use in natural gas vehicles
- Contaminants can enter into the gas at any stage of this processing
- In addition to stationary filtration, on-board filtration is critical to ensure clean gas is available as a final product at the engine injectors
CNG Filling Receptacle
- The LR USA filling receptacles make filling operations effortless
- Stainless steel construction receptacles are designed to be leak-free al low and high pressure, whatever the temperature
- An integrated check valve prevents gas flow when the fueling nozzle is disconnected
- LR receptacles can be used with any nozzle complying with the NGV1/ISO 14469-1, 3 requirements
AFCM Bi-Fuel Module
- The AFCM is the brain of the bi-fuel system, where fast and precise calculations happen in a matter of milliseconds to ensure precise and reliable CNG fuel delivery.
- The highest level of integration with the original engine and body control system is achieved through a fast link with the vehicle’s digital network.
- LR USA system architecture, software and calibrations are designed to be compliant with Federal EPA regulations and meet the stringest (Strict) California On-Board (Sostantivo vuole il maiuscolo) diagnostic requirements.
- Whether it is steel or composite carbon fiber, LR USA storage solutions are engineered and packaged to meet the highest levels of safety and reliability set by regulatory and industry protocols.
- CNG storage comes with integrated automatic solenoid valves, with single or double thermal safety and that avoid the need of gas tight housing.